I once had a conversation with friends about "passions" in life. We felt bad because we didn't have any! But since then, I've decided I actually DO have two: Eating & Reading. Both of those seem to occupy a great deal of my time. Now add writing. Food & Books, who could go wrong with that?

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Very Veggie

Alas, we were so busy eating this very veggie feast that I forgot to take pictures! I'll have to use my power of description now to recreate this menu. Let me start by saying I am not a vegetarian. I like food too much to adhere to diet restrictions, even when I know it's healthy and environmentally responsible! But I had a certain well-loved vegetarian guest this weekend, so here's what I served on New Years Day:

Starting off, a Curried Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, made with vegetable stock and a tiny splash of cream. I was not expecting to like this, but ended up going back for 2nds. I heard later that some pp went for 3rds. It was a definite hit! Now I have to claim culinary conceit, because I made up the recipe as I went along.

Following up, a Garden Fresh Lasagne, made with tomato sauce from this summer's tomato crop (freezer), some organic spinach, organic mushrooms, and fresh chard from my winter garden. To make sure we did not suffer protein withdrawal, I also layered in ricotta cheese, goat cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and asiago cheese. Probably should have put an "Extreme Lactose" warning label on top before serving.

Accompanied by, an ordinary tossed green salad and warm, crusty french bread.

Finished by, Maple Syrup Spice Cake with Toasted Hazelnuts. I put the leftover slices in the freezer this afternoon just so that I would stop eating this!

Combined with friends, family, great wines, converstation and laugher, the menu was a great kickoff for 2010! I hope I have many more evenings like this in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment